Sunday, August 29, 2010

Apple Sauce and other adventures

This month marked the coming of ripe crabapples. I picked up two large boxes full from my parents and from Chantel's parents. I got back from Regina and started my applesauce production. Crabapples make the nicest pink applesauce that you can find. By the time I finished my third night of production I had 10 gallons of applesauce. I have 29 quart jars of applesauce that I canned and ~20 medium freezer bags of applesauce.

During this whole process I came to realize that I really like preserving food. I love to take produce and store it. I can spend hours cutting crabapples or strawberries and love it. I lose myself in the work.

I can't wait for pears and peaches to come on sale so I can do more.

Andrew

2 comments:

  1. You need to add apple pies to your repertoire. We did them every year as a kid - Mom made the crusts, I peeled the apples, Meg did the fillings and Dad finished the crust.

    You freeze them completely raw - each in a big ziploc bag. They cook up perfectly from frozen.

    Also - have you tried Apple Butter from your crabapples?

    ps - got a pressure canner last Christmas! Now I can can ANYTHING, mwah haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds awesome. I want a pressure canner... but I'm not allowed one..

    The apples this year were all hail damaged so to the sauce they went.

    we tried the apple butter another time and weren't huge fans.

    do you have a good recipe for the apple butter?

    ReplyDelete